Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chinglish encounter!

New revelation today.

I've finally realized why I've had trouble at the ATMs of this particular bank for months. (here in China, you can withdraw money from the ATMs of any of the local banks, provided they have this 'Union Pay' logo)

What happened was each time after I keyed in the amount I wished to withdraw, the machine would prompt me to enter one of 3 options:
1) Correct
2) Confirm
3) Cancel

So I'd always press 1) Correct

but what happened was the amount I'd keyed in would disappear, and then I'd have to key that in again and I'd press 1) Correct again and I'd get the same result.

What's wrong? I'd keyed in the amount I desired, and I should press 1) Correct, isn't it? That was the CORRECT amount I wished to withdraw.

Then today, by some stroke of good luck and wisdom, instead of 1) Correct, I pressed 2) Confirm, and voila, I was successful!

And then it dawned on me that the machine's using 'correct' as a verb and not an adjective, as what I thought it was.

correct (verb)
-- to set or make true, accurate, or right; remove the errors or faults from:
eg. The native guide corrected our pronunciation. The new glasses corrected his eyesight.

correct (adjective)
-- conforming to fact or truth; free from error; accurate:
eg. He gave me a correct answer.

No comments: