Monday, August 25, 2008

A perfect storm!

First day of school. And we were all caught in a terrific storm.

The sky was grey and the wind was howling when I woke up and by the time I left the house, it was a full blown storm.

My bus pick-up point is a 15 minute walk from where I stay. (NB. i realized on the way back that this bus actually stops just outside the house! yayness! <--i learnt this term from my ex-students)

After walking 10 minutes with my tiny umbrella and no raincoat, I was completely drenched! But I continued walking, thinking of the terrors if I were to miss the school bus.

But by the time I was almost at my destination, I realized I just couldn't go on. My bag was completely soaked, my feet was squishing in my water-logged shoes and my drenched clothes were almost 2 times as heavy as before.
So what I did was to flag a cab to take me back (I know, it was only about 500 metres) and I came up, got changed and then took a cab to school.

I was late for half an hour. And when I rushed to my classroom, I saw only 4 students there. Apparently, more than half of the school was late due to the storm.

It was flooded everywhere -- all the roads, the buses, and even the school canteen.

We later heard on the news that it was the day of the highest rain volume in a hundred years! Sheesh! On the first day of school some more.
I managed to snap a few shots of the flooded roads while I was on the taxi.





No comments: