Sunday, May 11, 2008

Guzheng Concert

Guzheng Concert yesterday.

I was manning the ticketing counter and some people were coming at 340pm though the matinee began at 3pm.

I saw some students who looked very different from how they look like in school uniform. There was this girl in gothic costume.

Then in the evening, I was 'coerced' by some of my ex-students to buy bubble tea, and I decided to be nice and support them (and the choir). For the record, I've never ever bought bubble tea out of my own free will. I mean, I don't mind the tea itself, but I can't stand those rubbery 'agar agar-like' pearls.

Yeah, all things jelly and gummy are no-no for me. I can never make myself love the flimsy texture of those bubble tea pearls. Furthermore, you'd be sipping happily at your tea, and then those irritating pearls will every now and then shoot up your straw into your mouth, and you'll almost choke!

Then after the concert, the performers' friends all rushed up the stage to present them with flowers, balloons and other gifts. I think this part is very important for them because girls like receiving such 'nice girlie things'. Anyway, we've even allocated 10 minutes specifically for this purpose in our concert itinerary.

I can't remember what my friends gave me after my string ensemble concerts when I was in school. Probably they didn't at all. I guess boys don't go for such things. As long as their friends buy tickets and come, that's good enough already.

Boys are such boring and unsentimental creatures!

Anyway, the concert yesterday was great.

I managed to slip in and caught a few of the pieces. I think I'm beginning to appreciate Chinese music more.

I've always thought that Western classical music is more subtle, has more interesting harmony and dynamic/expressive variety while Chinese music is more celebratory and 'in-your-face' but I guess those are prejudices.

I shall just keep to my old maxim that anything with good melody is good music!

No comments: