Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bug in my Soup

This post is titled as such because I've just fished out a dead bug from my bowl of wanton soup which I've ordered from this cafe where I am surfing the net from.

But I've decided to go ahead and eat my soup. After all, if the bug's in a bowl of piping hot soup, it would've been cooked anyway. In fact, I could've eaten the bug if I wanted to. What's the difference between cooked chicken and cooked bug? Anything that you take in is eventually broken down to carbon, if you get what I mean.

Unless the bug only fell in while the waiter was delivering the soup to me, somewhere along the way from the kitchen to my table. Okay, I better stop pursuing this point, or I might decide to abandon my soup altogether.

So it's been almost a week since I arrived at KL. So how's Malaysia like? Well, I've not been here for years, but I feel quite at home. Things move at a slower pace than in Singapore. People don't seem to be in a hurry all the time. There's also much more space here and you feel freer. Of course, the walls around the malls are not as polished as those in Singapore, people just dump their rubbish openly in front of the shops and the traffic seems more chaotic, but there's just this freedom and openess about things.

There's a school in front of our house. At 2.30pm, school dismisses and everybody (yes, EVERYONE, including the teachers) go home. This is so unlike Singapore.

I've been busy helping to take care of my granny who just had a minor stroke. She's rather alert, only that she's unable to talk. We suspect it might be because she's taken out all her dentures. So maybe one day, we will put them back, and voila, she would be able to speak again!

I've also met so many of my relatives that I've not seen for ages. Now, I have the company of two very interesting aunts -- my 1st aunt, who's a TV addict. She spends her free time, watching all the HK and Taiwanese soaps on cable TV (called Astro here). When I sit down in front of the TV with her, she always switches the audio to Mandarin but I tell her to switch it to Cantonese with Chinese subtitles so I can learn some Cantonese. It's a dialect I really wish to learn.

Then of course, my very resourceful 4th aunt who runs the house so effectively and she's helping me a lot with my visa matters too.

I've also met my precocious 4-year old cousin for the first time. She's the daughter of my Dad's youngest brother. My Dad's the eldest in a family of ten, so that accounts for the age gap between my cousin and I.

Why do I say she's precocious? She can recite the names of my Dad and the 9 of his siblings, she has such boundless energy - she's awake till midnight and she talks somewhat like an adult. She likes to order us around. Among the things she has made me do are putting her toy Mickey mouse to bed, carry her downstairs and push her around in a swirling chair.

When she was about to leave for home, I made her an origami boat which she promptly crumpled and refused to accept!

What can I say?

Children are such enigmatic and unfathomable creatures.

No comments: